Our book with Wiley on AI

Thanks, Nisha. Thanks for your kind words. I learned a lot from you, Wil and Michael. I enjoyed being your editor! I benefited greatly from ...

Thursday, March 16, 2017

AI that predicts mortality in the hospital - Stanford business article

AI models are predicting mortality of patients admitted to hospital.

Human physicians are way better at predicting death within a few days, but I’d bet on my model over a physician any day in predicting death three to 12 months out,” Shah said.

In developing the tool, Shah first formulated a problem statement to guide his algorithm: “Given a patient and a date, predict the mortality of that patient within three to 12 months from that date, using electronic health record data of that patient from the prior year.”
Then he had it search and learn from the anonymized medical records of the millions of patients who entered Stanford hospitals between 2010 and 2016, comparing past mortality factors with those of a newly admitted patient. For Shah’s tool, the target outcome was a mortality prediction, and the variables included medical record entries such as an insurance code for a specific disease, a drug prescription or the pattern of visits. 






Read the full article here