Our book with Wiley on AI

Thanks, Nisha. Thanks for your kind words. I learned a lot from you, Wil and Michael. I enjoyed being your editor! I benefited greatly from ...

Friday, April 26, 2019

esports is big industry - Washington Post article





Large-scale esports tournaments are happening all the time on the Internet with players competing from home. Platforms such as Faceit, Battlefy and World Gaming Network allow users to join matchups as independent players or go in as teams. Although many gamers play just for the thrill, online tournaments frequently award cash prizes.
If teens are part of an esports team at school, the games are played using the school’s Internet link, and there is no traveling — except for, possibly, playoff games and state championships. A growing number of colleges also offer esports as varsity-level sports. Then there’s the live, professional circuit, where players compete in venues that accommodate hundreds — if not thousands — of fans. Pro games are broadcast on video channels, including YouTube Gaming and Twitch, and are televised on channels including ESPN and DisneyXD.